Storming Area 51

Storming Area 51

Shaelyn Kingery, Staff Writer

On Sept. 20, 2019, there was an Area 51 raid in Rachel, Nevada started by Matty Roberts on Facebook to “see them aliens” because “they can’t stop us all.” Needless to say, most kids at Thunder Ridge were enthralled by this event and loved watching the live stream. But what is actually thought about the storming?

Personally, I don’t think it was a success. The event was made as a joke but was turned into something serious. Millions said they were going to come “naruto run faster than bullets,” but only about 40 alien-lovers showed up before being turned away by authorities. Three people in total were arrested for multiple reasons.

Thunder Ridge Freshman Brian Spaulding said, ¨I mean, it was a pretty big event recently.”

I too agree that it was a large event, but I don’t think it was quite what was anticipated. 

Thunder Ridge Senior Mireya Reyes said, ¨Well, since no one actually got into the facility or got an alien, no, I don’t think it was a success. Honestly, it should have stayed a joke because nothing really came from it and even if more people showed up. I don’t think it would have been good. I think it would’ve been cool if people actually discovered aliens, but realistically I don’t think that would ever happen.”

I do think it would be cool if people found aliens, but that would be pretty hard to accomplish, at least just by storming a government facility.

Thunder Ridge Freshman Charlotte Zylman said, ¨No, it wasn’t a success because some of them got arrested. The naruto runner was dope; it was kind of a mood. I wouldn’t have done it.”

I agree that getting arrested isn’t exactly a success. I don’t think that naruto running was very wise though. They aren’t going to be taken very seriously if they do that.

The residents from Rachel, Nevada were not happy about the alien-hunting intruders invading their town of only about 50 residents. Nobody even asked them if it was okay. I think that this was a little inconsiderate. Although this was meant as a joke, when you plan something you should probably confirm whether it’s alright to plan there or not.