What is the World’s Favorite Candy?

Maysen Anderson, Staff Writer

Whether you are a chocolate or fruit candy lover, we can all agree that candy is pretty dang good. But what are the top ten most purchased candy, and what are some favorites for Thunder Ridge students?

The following rankings are brought to you by Fox News.

#10. Almond Joy   

Peter Paul Candy Manufacturing, which was established in 1919, didn’t invent the Almond Joy bar until 1946. Designed as the nuttier sibling to Mounds.

Revenue Generated: $60.8 million.

#9.  The Milky Way

Created in 1923, this chocolate bar was named after a popular malted milkshake, not the Milky Way galaxy. It was designed to capture the taste of the malted drink.

Revenue Generated: $70.2 million

#8. Hershey’s Cookies ‘n’ Creme

This is the newest candy. Hershey’s Cookies ’n’ Creme first hit the candy stands in 1994, and was billed as a unique twist on the classic Hershey Milk Chocolate Bar.

Revenue Generated: $80.4 million

#7. Musketeers

When it was first introduced in 1932, 3 Musketeers was made up of three pieces and three flavors: vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry. The 3 Musketeers family recently expanded to include Mint and Truffle Crisp bars.

Revenue Generated: $100.7 million

#6. Twix

The crunchy cookie, caramel, and chocolate bar is a relative newcomer to the American marketplace compared other top sellers (it was initially produced in the United Kingdom in 1967). It was introduced in the United States in 1979.

Revenue Generated: $169.9 million

#5. Kit Kat

This British creation was launched in 1935 by Rowntree Limited of York and was originally called Chocolate Crisp. It was later renamed Kit Kat, allegedly after the Kit Kat club, an eighteenth-century Whig literary club in England. Nestlé acquired Rowntree in 1988 and now produces Kitkat for over 70 countries.

Revenue Generated: $201.8 million

#4. Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bar

The oldest candy bar on our list, Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bar was developed in 1900 by Milton S. Hershey. Hershey wanted everyone to be able to enjoy the great taste of milk chocolate, which was a privilege only the wealthy enjoyed at the time. From 1941 to 1945, the Hershey Company produced more than a billion rations bars for troops serving in World War II. These days, Hershey makes more than 373 million of its signature candy bar every year.

Revenue Generated: $249 million

#3. Snickers

Introduced in 1930, the bar was named after one of the Mars family’s favorite horses. More than 99 tons of peanuts go into making over 15 million Snickers bars each day, and each bar contains around 16 peanuts.

Revenue Generated: $386.2 million

#2. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups

The inventor, Harry Burnett Reese, was a former dairy employee of Hershey who decided to strike out on his own and make a living in the candy business. Reese began selling his peanut butter cups in five-pound boxes for candy assortments in the 1920s, and the candy soon surged in popularity. In 1963, things came full circle when Hershey bought the company for $23.5 million.

Revenue Generated: $398.9 million

#1. M&M

The best-selling chocolate treat on our list has been around since 1941. It was designed with the intention of bringing consumers a chocolate that wouldn’t melt in their hands. M&Ms, which were named after their inventors Forrest Mars and R. Bruce Murrie, were given to GIs serving in World War II, and the chocolates even went on a space mission in 1982. M&Ms are red, yellow, blue, orange, and green, but it’s red that gets top billing — the red M&M has been the official “spokescandy” since 1952. There are now eleven permanent varieties of M&Ms candies, as well as seasonal offerings.

Revenue Generated: $406.7 million