Summer Fun In East Idaho

Abby Christensen, Staff Writer

Summer is fast approaching for Thunder Ridge students, but when they aren’t busy doing schoolwork or sports, it leaves many of them wondering how they should spend their summer. Luckily for them, there are many fun activities and places to go right here in Idaho Falls and in Eastern Idaho.

Idaho Falls has many fun things to do, such as walking the Greenbelt down by the Snake River. If you want, you can bring your bikes and scooters, or you can rent electric scooters from the city. Staying in the downtown Idaho Falls area, there is the Museum of Idaho, which currently has an exhibit titled Genghis Khan Conquest & Culture, as well as the Art Museum of Eastern Idaho, and Possibly Picasso where you can paint your own pottery. 

For the younger audience, there is The Artitorium, which according to their Facebook, is a “fun-focused, and imaginative experience in the arts for kids and families.” There is also the Aquatic Center, Rexburg Rapids, and the Ammon pool if you are looking for a place to swim. If you are wanting to see animals, there is Tauphus Park Zoo and the East Idaho Aquarium. A special event during the summer is the Bank of Idaho River Concert Series, it’s completely free and is usually held on Tuesdays at 7 p.m. 

Another great place to go on a summer night is the Melaleuca Field to watch a Chuckers baseball game. If you’re looking for a little friendly competition, there’s the Idaho Escape Rooms, On Target Axe Throwing, and Funland Mini Golf.

For the more outdoorsy type, in Arco there is the Craters of the Moon National Park, and if you are willing to travel a little outside of state lines, there is Grand Teton National Park, as well as Yellowstone National Park. In Grand Teton National Park, there is Targhee Ski Resort, where you can watch live music, hike, and ride the Dream Catcher lift to the top of the hill and get a great view of the Tetons. In West Yellowstone, there is The Playmill Theatre, and in Island Park, there also is the Yellowstone Playhouse if you’re looking for dinner and a show.

There are many other fun things to do and see that unfortunately can’t fit on this list. Though it may not always seem like it, there are so many things to do and see in and around Eastern Idaho