Golf Hits A Long Drive in 2022 Season

Abbie Nelson, Staff Writer

Our TRHS golf team had a great season this year. The girl’s team, including players Hailee Anderson, Tatum Church, Reese Church, and Kailey Wheeler were district champs for the first time in four years. The boy’s team had their first-ever boy qualify for state, Buzz Lindsay.

The girl’s season marked a new high for Thunder Ridge Golf. According to ThunderRidge High School Senior Kailey Wheeler the biggest achievement for the girls team “would have been that we got first at districts. All 4 years at thunder we have gotten 2nd at districts so this year we finally got 1st!”

The boys also did rather well. According to Thunder Ridge Senior Ty Onley “We had our best season yet! Taking 2nd place in most major Varsity only tournaments! Our biggest accomplishment was having our very first Thunder Ridge Boy, Buzz Lindsay, going to state!”

Another personal accomplishment of the TRHS golf this year was senior Ty Onley winning Post Register Awards Golfer of the Year. Onley said, “ I would like to give a huge shout out to our coaches C.B. Nelson and Coach Jeff Marshal for making my senior season I will never forget!”

It is agreed by every player that the hardest part of this season was the weather. According to both Wheeler and Onley, many tournaments were canceled and we had awful weather to play in. In fact, the only tournament with good weather was districts.

Coach C.B. Nelson says his hopes for next season are “We are losing some fantastic seniors. We hope to find new players that are excited about playing golf. Golf will be a fall sport next year. We are also hoping that we will have much better weather for the majority of the season.”

Anyone interested in playing golf next year should contact Coach Nelson at [email protected].