Lady Titans Make History

Jayden Barfuss, Staff Writer

Every team aims to make history and the lady Thunder Ridge Titans did that on Tuesday, February 8th with their defeat of the Rigby Trojans 60-49 to claim the school’s very first basketball district championship in school history. 

The game was a slow start for the Titans as the Trojans started off hot and took the momentum and led at the end of the 1st quarter 16-11. The second quarter was a better quarter for the titans as they outscored the Trojans 17-14 but the Trojans took a 30-28 lead into halftime thanks to a buzzer-beating 3 pointer.

The Ladys came out on a mission in the third quarter 16-5 and cruised to a 44-35 lead to begin the 4th quarter. The Titans closed out the Trojans outscoring them 16-14 in the 4th and final quarter to win the game 60-49.

As the Lady Titans punched their ticket to state they did it behind their 2 leaders Junior guard Aspen Caldwell who put up another excellent performance leading all scorers with 25 points. Junior Kennedy Stenquist had a great performance with 19 points, Rigby’s sophomore Kambree Barber had 14 points to lead Rigby.

Catching up with Kennedy after the game she thought they handled adversity really well Kennedy says “We knew they would go on a run if we get behind we knew we could push forward cause we wanted it really bad”.

When asked how she felt about being a district champion she smiled as she said “it feels great being the first team here to win districts is awesome still waking up and just having that feeling it is just amazing kind of insane”.

The Lady Titans open state on Thursday against these same Rigby Trojans so wish them luck and as always Go Titans!