Thunder Ridge Hires New Football Head Coach

Abbie Nelson, Staff Writer

Coach Micheal Berger was officially named as the next head coach of the Thunder Ridge Titans football program on January 13.

Coach Berger will replace Titan’s current coach Jeff Marshall, who led the Titans since the school’s opening in 2018.

Coach Berger says that next year his goal for the Titans for “the players to have a positive experience. I want them to enjoy the game of football and make memories they can be proud of. A measurable goal would be to be over .500 and make the playoffs.”

Coach Berger has been teaching at Highland High School since 2016, where he also coached football, track, and basketball. Berger coached linebackers under Highland Coach Mariani and coordinated the JV defense.

During his time at Highland, Berger was able to take part in three of the five last title games. According to Titans Athletic Director, Travis Hobson, part of the hope for the Titans under Berger is, “ I expect Coach Berger to utilize the unique nature of a first year in a new program to build a solid foundation for constituent and sustained growth over many years. I hope Coach Berger is wearing blue-and-silver, winning state titles for the next 30 years.”

Before coaching high school sports, Berger was a linebacker at Idaho State University for five years as he pursued his degree in Secondary Education.

In high school, Berger was a four-sport athlete playing football, basketball, and baseball. His senior year, he was named All-Idaho quarterback and High-Country Conference Player of the year. He is also the son of the well-known, state title winning coach of Skyline Scott Berger. 

Photo Credit: Thunder Ridge Facebook Page