Taylor Swift Does It Again

Jaidyn Orchard, Staff Writer

April 26, 2019, Taylor Swift released her newest single and music video for “ME!” with Panic! At the Disco star Brendon Urie. She set a new record on Vevo, becoming the fastest video to hit 100 million views. She broke Ariana Grande’s record for “Thank U, Next,” which had 59 million views within 24 hours. Taylor Swift’s new Vevo record for most views in 24 hours is 65 million views.

Swift now holds three of the top five spots in Vevo’s ranking of 24 hour views. The music video for her hit single released in 2017 “Look What You Made Me Do” is at number three on the chart with 43.3 million views while 2015’s “Bad Blood” with Kendrick Lamar is at number 5 with 20 million.

In an interview with Thunder Ridge Freshman Izzy Hall, she said that Taylor Swift deserves her positions on the chart. Hall said, “Taylor invests so much thought and money into her videos so her fans can enjoy them. She has such a dedicated fan base that allows her to be as successful as she is. Her songs have been instant hits for as long as I can remember so I think she is deserving of the spots on the charts.”

Taylor Swift and Brendon Urie opened the 2019 Billboard Music Awards (BBMA’s) with “ME!” and Swift was nominated for two awards: Top Touring Artist and Top Female Artist. Sadly, Swift did not win either of the awards that she was nominated for.

Hall was asked to share her opinions on Swift and Urie’s BBMA’s performance. She said, “I think it was almost too similar to the music video, but it was still fun and colorful. The acrobatics and choreography were super cool.” Hall also said that the performance was definitely good enough to open the awards show.