Avengers Endgame Breaks Records Opening Weekend

Jaidyn Orchard, Staff Writer

Friday, April 24, 2019, Avengers: Engame broke the record for biggest opening night ever. The popular Marvel movie made $60 million for its preview showings Thursday (April 23) night. Analysts predicted that “Endgame” would make above $260 million in North America and more than $800 million globally the weekend of its release.

Endgame broke several records, all starting when it’s first trailer was released on December 7, 2018. That trailer accumulated approximately 289 million views within the first 24 hours of being released. This set a new record, which was previously held by Avengers: Infinity War with 230 million views. The second official trailer for Endgame quickly took the second place spot with 268 million views when it was released March 14, 2019.

The new Avengers movie also set a new tickets pre-sale record. On Fandango, Avengers: Endgame passed the previous record held by Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, and Avengers: Infinity War in only six hours. Fandango would not release how many tickets were sold.

Another record that Endgame set was the widest release ever. It released in 4,662 theaters in North America. The previous record holder was Despicable Me 3, which only released in 4,549 theaters.

Three students at Thunder Ridge High School who saw the movie all said pretty much the same thing: The movie was incredible, and it definitely deserved the new records that it set. “Endgame was definitely worth the wait. It was fantastic,” said one of the interviewees.

Avengers: Engame set seven other records very soon after the movie was released.