The Oracle

• May 10TRHS Softball defeats Madison in Districts

• May 10Thunder Ridge Track Competes in District May 9 and 10 @ Rigby.

• April 24Senior Lagoon Trip May 22. Pay the $65 before May 17.

Saddest Movie Since The Fault In Our Stars?

Jaidyn Orchard, Staff Writer

A new chick-flick movie, Five Feet Apart, just released on March 15, 2019. The tear-jerker stars Haley Lu Richardson and Cole Sprouse, who, in the movie, are both Cystic Fibrosis patients who spent most of their lives in the hospital. When Will (Sprouse) transfers to the same hospital as Stella (Richardson), the teenagers fall in love.

Patients with Cystic Fibrosis must stay at least six feet apart from each other at all times or else there is a high possibility that they could catch the other patient’s contagious infections and become dangerously ill.

Due to this complication, Stella and Will’s love is forbidden and they are not able to act on their feelings towards each other. As their love intensifies, Will and Stella face the temptation to throw everything away for each other, and come up with a new rule- to drop the distance to only five feet apart (hence the name of the movie).

Critics compared Five Feet Apart to the similar romance between Augustus Waters and Hazel Lancaster in The Fault In Our Stars, which released in 2014. One critic said, “This love story [Five Feet Apart] requires some suspension of disbelief, but its charming stars and tear-jerking romance will appeal to fans of The Fault in Our Stars.

Two Thunder Ridge students, Miguel Gorriceta and Ashtyn Oberhansley, said that it was “way sadder than The Fault In Our Stars” and was easier to relate to.  They also believe that they felt the movie was very realistic and they personally knew the characters and their situations.  

Maybe take in a show and see if you agree.