Is Seniorities Real?

Abbie Nelson, Staff Writer

Is senioritis real? You’ve probably heard it referred to time and time again, but is it real?

Google defines senioritis as “a supposed affliction of students in their final year of high school or college, characterized by a decline in motivation or performance.”

But is the word supposed to make one’s brain wonder is it real?

Thunder Ridge High School Senior Bryn Kirkendoll says “ Senioritis is most definitely real. That last especially tri of high school procrastination gets bad. I kinda just had the mentality of  ‘I’m graduating so it doesn’t matter’.”

It turns out many seniors feel this way. Out of 20 Thunder Ridge Seniors, 18 said that they totally believe senioritis is real and have felt the effects of it.

Many teachers even see it too. For example, Thunder Ridge High School Senior Project teacher, KaReena Smith, says “Yes, I do believe senioritis is real.  Students get to a point where they can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and they start to get antsy.  Last year was the worst year I have seen senioritis with Senior Projects.  Students were waiting until the last possible moment to turn anything in, and it caused a great deal of stress for them and me. “

There are people that say senioritis isn’t real. Most of those are under the impression that it is just bad procrastination. And while they may have a point, I believe senioritis is a thing and procrastination is just a symptom. 

What do you believe Titans; is senioritis real?