Disney CEO Bob Chapek Under Fire For The Don’t Say Gay Bill

Abby Christensen, Staff Writer

Disney’s CEO Bob Chapek has recently come under fire for the Disney company is in support of the Don’t Say Gay Bill in Florida, a bill that if passed will prohibit schools students and teachers at school from talking about anything related to LGBTQ. Chapek’s personal support of this bill. along with the fact that he involved the Disney company by using its money to donate to politicians in support of the bill. has upset not only many fans, but also many employees within the company who are allies or LGBTQ members themselves.

The backlash from this was so intense that Pixar, a branch of Disney, wrote a seething statement criticizing the involvement of both Chapek and Disney. In the statement employees spoke out against the bill and how it is deeply offensive to the many LGBTQ employees of the Disney and Pixar company. 

The same letter went on to explain that Disney has long been avoiding inclusion and diversity in stories that have anything to do with LGBTQ saying, “We at Pixar have personally witnessed beautiful stories, full of diverse characters, come back from Disney corporate reviews shaved down to crumbs of what they once were. Nearly every moment of overtly gay affection is cut at Disney’s behest, regardless of when there is protest from both the creative teams and executive leadership at Pixar. Even if creating LGBTQIA+ content was the answer to fixing the discriminatory legislation in the world, we are being barred from creating it. Beyond the ‘inspiring content’ that we aren’t even allowed to create, we require action.”

This letter, along with many other statements from fans and employees, has left Chapek scrambling to cover his tracks as his already dismal popularity sinks even lower. Chapek has come out with many statements apologizing for his involvement with the bill and has even tried to make donations to charities for LGBTQ members, but the charities have all refused his donations on the basis that it is not genuine and he is just trying to cover up his mistake. 

Photo Credit: flickr.com