Thunder Ridge History Teacher Holds Presidential Debate

Emily Jones, Staff Writer

Mr. Schneider is an 11th grade U.S. History teacher at TRHS. For the end of the trimester class project, he decided to hold a presidential debate on America’s past presidents. Students from his class were to prepare by researching their president, giving a speech, and participating in a debate. 

During the debate, the students acting as their presidents were asked 3 questions and were graded on their responses. Along with answering the questions students were able to mudsling 2 other presidents to gain more points. When interviewing students, they said that mudslinging was their favorite part. 

The project has been used in Mr. Schneider’s curriculum for two years now, but this is the first year he’s used the debate and plans to use it in his future classes.

Schneider chose to do a debate to really have the students dig deep and think critically about past United States presidents and how they dealt with domestic and foreign policies. He felt that students really went above and beyond on this project and was thoroughly pleased.

Schneider’s favorite parts of the debate were how “it was set up like a real debate and all the students loved talking in the microphones.” Another part of the debate he loved was when students could successfully attack another president’s policy, and if attacked they could answer strongly and counterattack. He felt that students really got into character and started defending their presidents as they would do for themselves.