Winter Season Sports

Kate Clayton, Staff Writer

Winter school sports are starting up and are becoming a more popular subject, such as basketball and wrestling. 

Ryder Clayton, a sophomore at ThunderRidge High School, says, “Even though basketball can be stressful at times, it is still a lot of fun. Basketball takes a lot of time because of practices and games. Lots of hard work is put in every week. It keeps us in really good shape.” Those involved in the basketball team can agree with this. With practices every day, and games up to 2-3 times a week, it can be a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. 

Diana Knighton, a freshman at ThunderRidge High School and member of the swim team, is also planning to participate in track. She said,  “Swim was a struggle. It’s hard to hold my breath for so long, constantly moving my body. Even though it’s hard, I still really enjoy it.”

Knighton went on to say, “I’m excited for the track to start. I really enjoy running. I mostly do sprints but I don’t mind running a 200 meter every so often.” Track may not come until the Spring, but keeping in shape before then is still important. 

Ashley Isom, a freshman at ThunderRidge High School, is a competitive cheerleader. She says, “Cheer is basically all year round. I like the atmosphere of competitions and it also gives me something to do. If I didn’t cheer, I would have too much free time on my hands. Cheer keeps me in really good shape but I do end up going on runs.” 

Sports can be hard to balance with school. Clayton said, “It’s been hard considering finals week is here, I haven’t had a lot of time to study.” Even though it’s hard to balance school and sports, it can be done, and all the hard work pays off in the long run.