Mask Mandates: What Do Students Think?

Emily Jones, Staff Writer

Students at Thunder Ridge High School were under the mask mandate the last two weeks, and you may be asking what the students thinking or feeling? T

Thunder Ridge Junior Leighton Torres claims, “I don’t wear a mask, and it’s because I just don’t care anymore. The mandate has made it hard to understand people talking when they are wearing a mask. When I do wear a mask, it fogs up my glasses and hurts my ears. It’s pretty distracting and I lose focus.” Torres was quarantined and said it was hard to catch up in class and he had to take lots of tests. He said he has been asked to leave class due to not wearing a mask, and it made him mad. He wanted to stay and learn. 

Thunder Ridge Junior Jozet Guthrie also said she doesn’t really care about the mandate but still wears a mask. She believes she isn’t affected by masks and goes to class as normal. She was also quarantined and said that it was also hard to catch up in classes. And because she wears her mask,  she has never been asked to leave class. 

These are the experiences of two students. Does the repeated mandate to wear masks consume the thoughts and actions of students? Probably not. However, they do have opinions.

They may believe the mask is uncomfortable and in the way, like Torres. Or maybe the students see it as just another requirement to be in class. Whatever their opinion on the masks, all students agree that quarantining is a problem and takes a lot of effort to come back from. Hopefully, the school is able to remain in yellow or green status.