Is Monday School Fair?

Kate Clayton, Staff Writer

This year, Thunder Ridge High School and other high schools in the Bonneville School District have decided to make Mondays a mandatory school day if you have an I or below a 70% in a class. There has been some confusion with what the freshman have to do and what’s different between freshmen and upperclassmen when it comes to Monday school.

Ashley Isom, Thunder Ridge Freshman says, “Freshmen have more rules to follow. We have to go to each class no matter what our grade is. No one can even go to the library anymore without going through the office and proving that you can be in there. We should just be able to leave when we are done with the class we were required to be in; it’s pointless to stay.”

Parents of students at Thunder Ridge agree and disagree with all the rules. Kristen Clayton, mother of two Thunder Ridge students says, “It’s good that the school is giving students time to work on what they are missing and get caught up, but the rules need to be made more clear. They don’t really make sense.”

Monday school is only there to help students out and not fall behind if they were are absent. It’s important that students take Monday school seriously because it’s a privilege to be excused from Mondays, not a punishment to be there.

School starts at 8:40 on Monday and ends at 12:30. Each class is 35 minutes long, so it’s important that students manage their time well and get their missing work turned in. Mondays are only helpful if you take them seriously. 

It should also be noted that attendance is taken and required because the state is once again requiring so many hours in school, where it was waived due to Covid since Spring of 2019.