Shot In A Quiet City and Locks Down Many Area Schools

Kaden Golden, Staff Writer

On September 27th, 2020, a local Ammon man was shot and killed in his home. Around 2 p.m, Bonneville County, Fire, Sheriff, and SWAT teams were called to the 200s block of south Ammon Road after residents reported gunfire. Upon arrival, police found 68-year-old Larry H. Powell with a gunshot wound to the head.

After containing the scene, police made contact with two suspects later identified as Daniel J. Wood and Leroy Dr. Hightower. While police were detaining the two subjects Powell succumbed to his injuries and died on the scene.

Upon further investigation, police discovered that Hightower and Wood had engaged in conversations on different ways that they could kill Mr. Powell and his wife. At different times Hightower and Wood had attempted to poison the couple and sabotage their cars. They also had planned on hiding their bodies on the property after doing so. Hightower also admitted to distracting Mr. Powell while Wood shot him and ran out the back door to hid the gun on the property.

Daniel J. Wood was a student at Hillcrest High School and was known by many students at the school.  I had the chance to sit down with one of the students that was in close contact with Wood many days during the school year. According to this student, who will remain nameless, Wood was “generally considered weird by many students at Hillcrest High School” and was surprised to hear of the shooting. He did not think that Wood was capable of doing something like this.

The student continued, “Yeah he was weird but once you got to know him, he was a pretty decent guy.” 

Other attempts were made to contact officers on scene but due to the fact that the case is still under investigation, they declined to comment.  Both men were booked to Bonneville County jail for murder and will be charged as adults as both of them were of the age of 19. While police were containing the scene, nearby schools and businesses were asked to shelter in place until further notice.

**Photo Credit to Rhett Nelson, EastIdahoNews.com